The Planters Punch is a generic Rum punch based around the following: 1 sour, 2 sweet, 3 strong, 4 weak.
"Beachbum Berry Remixed" by Jeff Berry, 2009
Don's Own Planters, from Don the Beachcomber, circa 1940s
- 1 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 oz Soda Water (Club Soda)
- 2 Dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1 oz Honey Mix (1 part Honey and 1 part Water)
- 1 1/2 oz Dark Jamaican Rum
- 1 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum
Shake with ice cubes and pour everything into Pilsner glass. Garnish with mint, cherry, and pineapple finger.
Myers's Rum recipe
- 3 parts Myers's rum
- 1 part lemon juice
- 2 tea-spoons sugar syrup per glass
- 1 dash bitters per glass
Shake and strain, garnish with orange and mint sprig.
"1800 And All That" by R. de Fleury, 1937
Recipe by "Slippery", Myrtle Bank Hotel, Kingston.
This drink is very popular on the Island of Jamaica, and principally at Kingston. It is made of:
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar Syrup
- The Juice of a fresh Lime
- 1 Wineglass Bacardi Rum
Shake well; strain into a tumbler, and grate Nutmeg and a pinch of Red Pepper on top. No Soda whatever.
"Trader Vic’s Bartender’s Guide," Vic Bergeron, 1947
- 3 oz. dark rum
- 1/2 oz. grenadine
- barspoon of bar sugar
- juice of a small lime
- juice of 1/2 lemon
Stir with crushed ice and strain into a collins glass 2/3 full of same
Interestingly, the earliest known recipes for the Planter's Punch were printed in rhyme:
FUN MAGAZINE (London), September 1878
"Planter's Punch! A West Indian Recipe"
- A wine-glass with lemon juice fill,
- Of sugar the same glass fill twice
- Then rub them together until
- The mixture looks smooth, soft, and nice.
- Of rum then three wine glasses add,
- And four of cold water please take.
- A Drink then you'll have that's not bad —
- At least, so they say in Jamaica.
KANSAS CITY STAR, 1903
- One of sour
- One of sweet
- Two of strong
- And one of weak
NEW YORK TIMES, 8 August 1908
- This recipe I give to thee,
- Dear brother in the heat.
- Take two of sour (lime let it be)
- To one and a half of sweet,
- Of Old Jamaica pour three strong,
- And add four parts of weak.
- Then mix and drink. I do no wrong--
- I know whereof I speak.
NOTE: One could surmise from this poem the following recipe:
- 2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 1½ oz Sugar Syrup
- 3 oz Dark Jamaican Rum
- 4 oz Crushed Ice
Shake ingredients and pour into a cocktail glass.
The Gleaner, 4th April 1914
"He could mix the best Planters' punch in Jamaica."
"The Gleaner", 1921
"A planters' punch is made of pure Jamaica rum, a little cane syrup, cracked ice along with a slice of native pineopple and orange to make it more attractive."
- The fruity rum drink known as Planter's Punch goes way back in time - Charleston City Paper
- Planters Punch - Eight Versions of a Famous Rum Drink - A Mountain of Crushed Ice